Getting started with Blackboard xpLor
Blackboard xpLor is an advanced learning object repository that currently contains over 100000 Open Educational Resources (OER) created by over 850 connected institutions! Blackboard xpLor has two licensing models: basic and premium.
All Moodlerooms users have free access to basic xpLor. It does however require the acceptance of the xpLor license but it does not require any additional charges. Basic users have access to a restricted subset of xpLor functions and are limited to Open Educational Resources (OER) sharing and discovery. If you are within the basic model the premium features will appear in gray but are not available for usage. In today’s post I am going to discuss how basic and premium users can search xpLor and add OER resources into Joule courses.
To search for an xpLor resource simply turn editing on and select “Add from xpLor” from either the Activity chooser or the Add a resource drop-down menu. This will jump you into the xpLor interface allowing you to search for resources. Watch this video to learn how to search in xpLor.
Once you find a resource that you would like to use in your course complete these steps:
- Select the “Add” button. “Add to Course” is the default action for the button unless you choose a different action to perform. A dialog box appears allowing you to select the course and add the item to a specific section/topic/folder within it.
- Select a course from the drop-down menu. The current course is selected by default.
- Select the section/topic/folder of the course where the resource should be added.
- Click the “Add” button.
- Navigate back to your course by clicking its name in the upper right-hand corner of the xpLor interface. The activity displays in the course.
- Click the activity name to view it in the course. Notice there is a toolbar above the resource.
Once you have added an xpLor resource you can configure its delivery settings by clicking the “Activity settings” icon in its toolbar. Here you can control features available for the activity such as the discussion feature.
If you are interested in learning more about xpLor, enroll in our online course titled “Using xpLor in Moodle and Moodlerooms”. This course covers both Basic and Premium xpLor features. In it you will learn how to easily add Open Educational Resources to your courses; create and share your resources with teachers around the world; and share content across your school county or district. This course not only includes use cases but best practices for using the xpLor system within Moodle and Moodlerooms.
Thanks for reading!
~Rebecca DeSantis, Senior Instructional Designer